I see a lot of pictures of Emma Stone posted on Tumblr or gossip sites with the caption, “Out and about in New York City.” And she always looks fresh, comfortable, and pretty. See?
Picture from Emma Stone Fashion Style
(Bonus Andrew Garfield, looking like a confused street urchin.)
I was also in NYC recently, and this is closer to how I felt while walking around sometimes:
Picture from FantasyStock
New York is a great, walkable city, and one of my favorite places in the entire world. But if you’re really in it, you’re spending a lot of time in the sun and in the exhaust of taxis, with heat from subway grates and manhole covers and food carts blowing right into your face. For me, this means running the risk of feeling dirty and greasy by the end of the day.
But I’d rather feel like Emma Stone!
To do that, I put together a small survival kit for staying fresh in NYC, and made sure my makeup regimen included particular cosmetics.
- I started off my makeup with BECCA’s Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector. I wrote about this primer last year, during a different warm-weather period. This base is great for those who feel their makeup “slips” after long wear. It mattifies the skin and controls oil to leave you feeling soft and fresh the entire day — and even better, you can keep it in your purse and use it to touch-up oily areas whenever you need!
- I made sure my foundation included SPF. I’ve also written about this pretty extensively, but I can’t emphasize enough the importance of protecting your skin from the sun. So make sure you have at least one moisturizer or foundation with sunscreen.
- I kept Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine Control Blotting Sheets in my purse. These tiny sheets are made to reduce T-zone shine and remove excess oil without messing up your makeup. It’s an affordable beauty purchase that can be found in any drugstore, and is great for travel.
- I love street food, but if I walk through the steam coming off a hot dog or bagel cart, I don’t want to smell like that the rest of the day. So I also kept a Burberry Brit Sheer Rollerball on hand to freshen myself up .
- Finally, I also kept a handful of Wet Ones travel wipes in my purse. Your hands touch a lot of dirty things in New York, but you may not always have ready access to a bathroom for hand-washing.
Follow these tips, and maybe someday the paparazzi might be following you around, wondering how you look so put-together and pretty in the big city.